Monday, October 11, 2004

Adventures in Baking

Usually the arrival of fall is a happy occasion as it is a favorite time of the year for me; the beautiful colors on the trees, numerous holidays with an abundance of delicious foods, and spending time with family. However, this year the arrival of fall is only a reminder of how soon we will be buried in snow and the temperature will fall well below my tolerance level for cold weather (in fact it already has)! Last weekend Ithaca held its annual apple festival, which I attended while Chris went to class (school on a Sunday!) for a review session. I picked up a bag of Liberty apples and walked around looking at the crafty items for sale. The amount of crafts being sold was actually rather disappointing, with booth after booth schlepping hand made jewelry. I was hoping to find more season/holiday appropriate items, and most importantly, an apple peeler-corer thingy. Unfortunately, the apple peeler-corer thingy was not to be found and I had to slave away peeling and coring apples (am I spoiled or what?) so that I could make my first pie ever!
I probably should have baked it for a little while longer and obviously my fluting needs a lot of work. Oh well, that will be something to work on when I bake a pumpkin pie next month. All in all, the apple pie turned out pretty tasty, considering I had to deal with limited space issues and needed to MacGyver a make shift rolling pin (empty wine bottle). If anything baking took my mind off of the impending winter.

- Laura Silvey

No comments: